Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Model Mania!



For those of you who don't know, the fashion world is being turned upside down due to the rising popularity of the plus-size model. I know this, of course, because I read one fashion blog. Now, if you aren't impressed yet, please hold your breath, because there is more! I, Annie B. Cheek, am a plus-size model. Yes, it's true. My modeling career began back in 2006, when my friend Sarah needed a subject for a last-minute photo shoot. I, being a great friend and also having nothing else to do, was given the honor of being the subject. Here is one of my favorite pictures from the shoot - me holding the accordian and did not (and still don't) know how to play.



I gained a lot of popularity in the modeling world after this photo shoot. It was not long after that another friend working for IWU needed subjects for a Financial Aid brochure she was working on. My brother and I were among a few who were chosen for the task. Look at that smile! Who wouldn't want to finance their education after seeing the brochure? My brother's picture, which I sadly do not have a copy of, was even better than mine - he had to have a ketchup stain photoshopped out of his t-shirt and looked sort of crippled. We are an amazing family.


My next opportunity came when my friends Jennie and Lyndsey began their own Etsy shop, making the cutest headbands ever. They needed some models to show off the headbands and I quickly volunteered. As you can see, I was really great at working with the camera to show off the details of the carefully made headband. Jess & Maggie also volunteered and I believe you can see their photos on Facebook if you are interested.




Most recently I was allowed to participate in a photo shop for a hair salon my friend Laura works in. She even colored my hair for free! Laura gave me this awesome updo, and my husband says it looks good enough to eat. I felt like royalty, walking around in that hair do, especially when I forgot my hair was all pinned up (and my eyebrows were darkened) and walked into the Hardee's for some snacks.
So, here's to another year of successful modeling! And here's two very enthusatic thumbs up for all the other plus-size models out there, struggling to climb to the top. It's a rough climb, and I should know.



1 comment:

  1. girl you so pretty. next time i need a model, im callin you...

    ReplyDelete